A. We should serve not out of a sense of obligation, but out of the love we have in our heart for JESUS.
- Think of it like a family
- do you do good things for your mom or dad b/c you HAVE to, or b/c you love them. We love them and therefore we serve them.
1. Just like a person’s life looks different when they decide to follow Jesus, our lives should look different as we GROW in serving Jesus.
2. Our faith can be seen Matthew 9:2
1 Jesus stepped into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. 2 Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”
B. our faith shows in what we do
The Message (MSG)
Faith in Action
- 14-17Dear friends, do you think you’ll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved and say, “Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!” and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup—where does that get you? Isn’t it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?
1. Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat.
- These men showed their faith by bringing the man on the mat to Jesus
- Luke 5:17
One day as he was teaching, Pharisees and religion teachers were sitting around. They had come from nearly every village in Galilee and Judea, even as far away as Jerusalem, to be there. The healing power of God was on him.
18-20Some men arrived carrying a paraplegic on a stretcher. They were looking for a way to get into the house and set him before Jesus. When they couldn’t find a way in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof, removed some tiles, and let him down in the middle of everyone, right in front of Jesus. Impressed by their bold belief, he said, “Friend, I forgive your sins.”
C. Faith does work
1. Service allows us to express our faith.
a. Galatians 5:6 faith working through love
- 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
- True faith is a working grace; it works by love to God, and to our church family.
- 18-20Some men arrived carrying a paraplegic on a stretcher. They were looking for a way to get into the house and set him before Jesus. When they couldn’t find a way in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof, removed some tiles, and let him down in the middle of everyone, right in front of Jesus.
- The men did the work.
- It doesn’t matter if we love going to church or if we hate going to church. What matters the very most is our faith and our faith is shown by LOVE. To God, then to our church family, then to the world.
2. Faith must of course be sincere. We have to really mean it.
- The way we show we mean it: WHAT WE DO! If faith lacks love it is not true faith. “Thus the Apostle bars the way of hypocrites to the kingdom of Christ on all sides.”
- This makes it impossible for us to SAY we love God, then DO nothing or the wrong thing towards others
- without fruits faith serves no purpose.
3. LAZY faith is not justifying faith/ qualifying faith/ faith that counts
- “Inwardly it consists in faith towards God, outwardly in love towards our fellow-men.” -Martin Luther
We should serve not out of a sense of obligation, but out of the love we have in our heart for JESUS.
- We show our love for Jesus and our faith in Him by the way that we live and act every day.
- When we save our money or do extra chores for BGMC, it shows that we have faith that our change will be used to help someone in Cambodia.
- When we give to BGMC, we have faith that kids across the world will be served lunch everyday.
- We show our faith in through our love for God and people.
- We serve our church family because of our love for Jesus